BML History: Blue Mountain Camps
Published on: March 25, 2013
Before the Blue Mountain Lakes community existed, the lake and surrounding land housed a popular summer camp.
In the early 1920s Morris Escoll, his wife, and some friends created Blue Mountain Camps for boys and for girls. The boys camps (junior boys and senior boys) were located on the east side of the lake centered around our current pool and clubhouse. The girls camps were located near the current mail pods and gazebo.
Blue Mountain Camps offered Jewish children the opportunity to experience nature and the outdoors in a way they couldn’t in the city. The camps focused equally on athletics and the arts. During the day campers would play sports or go hiking, horseback riding, boating, or swimming. In the evenings they would attend social events, do arts and crafts, or rehearse for one of the three shows they performed each year. Escoll advertised that campers would spend lots of time in the sun and that they would gain weight; two things that were difficult to do in the city.
Rather than just spending one week away from home, campers at Blue Mountain Camps spent the entire summer here, and many would return year after year. Spending so much time together helped campers form some of the closest friendships of their lives.
Many current doctors, lawyers, and entertainers spent their childhood at these camps. Some more famous campers include Ed and Steve Sabol of NFL Films, and Larry Cuban of Stanford University. Even actor Henry Winkler of ‘Happy Days’ fame spent one summer here.
In 1961 Morris Escoll’s poor health meant he was no longer able to run the camp. Other managers took over until the camp’s last year in 1968. Later the grounds were rented to other nearby camps. But in the 1980s when that became unsustainable Joseph Lubeck, grandson of Morris Escoll, began the process of turning the camps into a housing development.
Several elements of the camp still remain. Along Pocahontas Rd near the guard shack are several stone pillars that welcomed visitors to the camps. Near the lake spillway is a circular stone campfire pit used by the girls camp. The benches at the lakefront were used by campers over 50 years ago. The parking area near the dock is an old tennis court. The red and green asphalt is still visible. And groves of tall evergreen trees can still be found around the lake. Escoll planted over 25,000 trees (red pine, white pine, spruce, hemlock, and larch) during the first years of the camp.
But the most prominent remnant of the camps is the large fireplace in the gazebo. This fireplace was originally part of the boys camp lodge, located on the opposite side of the lake. As the camp closed and prepared for development, Lubeck had the fireplace moved to its current location so that we could enjoy a bit of the camp still today.
Special thanks to Dr. Harvey Frankel for the photos and telling the history of the camps.
Blue Mountain Camp Transportation
Blue Mountain Lake c.1940
On the left are some of the 25,000 trees that Morris Escoll planted throughout the camp.
Boys Camp on the left
Girls Camp lower-right
Downtown East Stroudsburg upper-right
Girls Camp c.1930
Girls Camp Lodge
Junior Girls Camp Cabins
Senior Girls Camp Cabins
Morris Escoll in the front driving
Blue Mountain Camp Transportation
(near current townhomes along Brushy Mountain Rd.)
Girls Camp Waterfront c.1950
(which was located near the current mail pods)
Photo taken from the water tower that used to sit near the current Water Tower Circle.
Boys Camp Waterfront c.1950
(which was located near the current Eastshore Drive)
View from the Boys Camp
Junior Girls Bunk
Junior Boys Bunk
Title Page of the 11th Season Yearbook
14th Season Newsletter
Senior Boys Lineup c.1963
Radio station WBMC had a low-power signal that could be heard up to a mile away in the Girls Camp.
Map of Boys Camp
Waterfront located near Eastshore Dr.
Business Office near current Clubhouse
New Laundry along Brushy Mountain Rd. near townhomes.
It is also the site of Saturday Morning Services, as in this photo.
“HMS Pinafore” c.1960
“Guys and Dolls” c.1965
Boy’s Lodge Fireplace, just before it was moved to the other side of the lake, where it now stands as part of the Gazebo.
Over the past several years campers have returned for a reunion. This photo was from the 2009 reunion.
While they are sad that the camp is no longer around, they are pleased with the community and how well the lake and surrounding area is maintained.