PA American Water – Flushing of BMLC Distribution System
Pennsylvania American Water will be flushing its distribution (pipeline) system in BMLC beginning November 6th through November 16th. This system flushing will take place in the evenings during this time (between 9:00 pm and 1:00 am).
To flush the system, PA American Water will systematically open fire hydrants throughout the community to increase water flows – allowing them to “flush” any minerals and deposits from the pipes. While flushing the system won’t interrupt your water service, when crews are working in your area, you may notice a temporary drop in water pressure or discolored water. This is normal. If this happens, simply let your water run until it is clear.
- Avoid running your tap water and using the washing machine or dishwasher while crews are flushing in your area.
- If discolored water occurs, simply run the cold water for a few minutes until it clear. This will allow the sediment to work its way through your pipes.
- Check for discolored water before using the washing machine or dishwasher. Wait until the water runs clear at the tap before doing laundry or running the dishwasher. NOTE: If your laundry becomes stained, DO NOT PUT YOUR LAUNDRY IN THE DRYER. Rewash clothes immediately using detergent and add a rust remover. Most rust removers can also be used on stained fixtures.
- In some cases, slight discoloration might linger for a few hours. This discoloration only affects the appearance of the water and does not affect water quality. No health hazards are associated with discolored water from hydrant flushing.
- If water pressure or water volume seems low after flushing has been completed, check your faucet screens for trapped particles.Should your water be discolored after November 16th please call PA American Water at 1-800-565-7292.